Friday, October 15, 2010

IMT Des Moines Marathon

This weekend the Des Moines Marathon will celebrate its ninth year. It's come a long way since it started in 2001. ABC5 is a proud sponsor of the marathon and both Rachel and I enjoy taking part. I ran the full marathon (26.2 miles) in 2005 and the half marathon in 2008. I was trained to run the half last fall, but just learned about my pregnancy so I only ran a few miles just for fun. The photo below is from the 2005 Des Moines Marathon, I'm on the left.



It's such a wonderful, electric, healthy atmosphere. If you've never participated in a large road race I highly encourage you to just go downtown on race day and soak up the energy. Here's a photo of Rachel and her sister finishing last year's half marathon.



This year Rachel will run the half marathon again. She's been training hard most of the summer, many of her miles have been behind a jogging stroller... not easy! I started running again after my pregnancy, but haven't had time to train for a long distance race. Still, I get to participate in different way this year. I'll be doing some emceeing from the finish line for a Mediacom broadcast. After Rachel's finished running, she'll head out into the crowd as a 'roving reporter.' We're both really excited about this.

You should come downtown and say hi.

Thanks for reading.

Amanda
akrenz@myabc5.com