Monday, January 25, 2010

Helping Haiti?


Like many of you, I watched the "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon Friday night. I was actually home sick, that's why I got to watch it. I thought it was a very classy production, definitely somber and even a bit heart-wrenching at times. (my favorite performances: Coldplay, Sting, Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Neil Young and Dave Matthews)

It seemed to me that it really didn't matter how much money people were donating, simply that they donated what they could. All the celebrities reinforced that and I thought it was great because five dollars really can do so much good. I just read, the telethon has raised a record $58 million so far.

I'm just curious, how did you choose (or will you choose) which organization to donate to? There are so many options out there.

I don't mind sharing where I donated. I went online to http://www.stillerstrong.org/. It's a charity organized by actor/comedian Ben Stiller. The effort is called the Haitian School Initiative, to help provide temporary schools for Haitians displaced by the earthquake.



Stiller says, “Our goal is to help kids get back in school as quickly as possible. Schools are a safe haven for kids in times of crisis, and are instrumental in delivering not only education but also healthcare, nutrition and other critical services.”

There are so many wonderful organizations to donate to. I just think it's important to do something.


Amanda

akrenz@myabc5.com