Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Baby Food

Lydia is now five and a half months old and we've started giving her baby food about a week ago. Every parent is different but with the research and advice we've received, we're doing kind of a different route. First we aren't doing rice cereal, I feel there's no nutritional value and they there's ingredients in it that I don't know how to pronounce...so no thanks. Instead with the help my, as seen on TV, "Magic Bullet" I'm making my own baby food. We started with white root vegetables like parsnips (the picture above are parsnips), rutabagas and turnips. It was so easy to make. I peeled and boiled the veggies. Then cut them up and threw in a little water into the Magic Bullet and tah-dah, purred baby food! It made a lot of food, so I put them into all these little labeled freezer containers and we're all set. She seems to like it okay, minus the grimace face she gives during the first spoonful.

Today I introduced a new food, squash. She made a face and then stopped and realized she loved it. The spoon would get close to her and she would grab for it and try to get it in her mouth. Looks like I'll be picking up more squash at the farmers market!
Later I'll probably introduce some sort of organic grain.

If you have any baby food tips I'd love to hear from you! E-mail me at rpierce@myabc5.com.

Rachel Pierce