Monday, April 19, 2010

Love and Logic


Have you heard of this?

My mom took me to a conference this weekend. It was called "Parenting with Love and Logic." It's about helping parents and teachers raise responsible kids. My mom was introduced to it years ago, it's been around since the 70's.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I went, but I walked away feeling like I'd been given a handful of tools and techniques that will make me a better parent. That's a really good feeling. I've been struggling with disciplining, feeding, and generally raising a toddler. I've never done this before.

Here's an excerpt from their website:

"Raise children who are self-confident, motivated, and ready for the real world with this win-win approach to parenting. Your children will win because they’ll learn to solve their own problems while gaining the confidence they need to meet life’s challenges. And you’ll win because you’ll establish healthy control—without resorting to anger, threats, nagging or exhausting power struggles. Parenting with Love and Logic puts the fun back into parenting!"

I know each family is different and what works for one family may not work for another. But I'm grateful for my mom introducing me to this and I'm excited to try it out. I'm excited about using techniques that take 'anger' out of parenting. I really think it's best for kids and parents, a lot less stress.

What do you guys think?

What parenting philosophies do you like? I'd love to hear.

Amanda