Thursday, April 8, 2010

What! No baby yet!

What, no baby yet?

It is April 8th and I am now six days past my due date. My doctor's office recommended I be induced tonight. When they first told me that last week I never thought it would even get to this point. But, as each day passed I started having second thoughts about being induced and started doing a ton of research. What I found is that inductions are not always successful. A high percentage lead to Cesarean Sections, which is the LAST thing I want! It also makes for a tough labor and I plan on going drug free. So my husband and I talked about it and decided to wait one more week before going down the induction route. Besides full term pregnancy is considered up to 42 weeks, so technically I am really not overdue. Many say you shouldn't have a "due" date instead a "due" month...so that is the approach I am taking.

One thing that has been kind of tough during the wait is people keep asking me "when are you going to have that baby?" Trust me if I knew I would tell you. Or when I call someone and they answer the phone "are you in labor?” I know it's just folks who are excited for me and the baby but it just is getting a little old since it started three weeks ago.

I have decided to go ahead and start my maternity leave. I'll work tomorrow and then start my 12 weeks off. I promise to still blog from home and include pictures of the baby. I know ABC5 will send a crew after the baby is born and show it on the news as well.

Until then I'm content to play the waiting game.

Rachel Pierce
rpierce@myabc5.com