Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Diapers, Diapers, Diapers


My husband and I admittedly are not the most environmentally savvy people, but hey we try. One area we have decided we want to make a difference is with diapers. From what we've read babies use about two thousand diapers a year and they take about 300 years to biodegrade in a landfill. Because of that fact and the wonderful variety of chemicals in diapers that we are choosing to use cloth. We have been reading up on all the different brands and like FuzziBunz (I love the patterns) and Bumpkins Bamboo (my husband's pick). My parents used cloth and think we're crazy, though they admit there may have been a few advancements since they had to pin them on us girls. I have friends who have used them with their children and have nothing but good things to say.

Where do you stand? Do you think we're crazy?


-Rachel Pierce

COMMENT:
Hi Rachel! I read your blog for the first time today after hearing about it from Twitter. Am I missing the comment link on there or do we comment via email? In any case, I think it's great that you guys are trying cloth diapers. From what I've seen, they're nothing like the cloth diapers of old. I know there's a bit of an investment on the front end but I think you'll end up ahead financially and it's also environmentally friendly like you mentioned. After putting 3 boys through diapers diapers (at one point 3 kids all in diapers or pullups) I wish we'd gone this route. It would have saved us a bundle of money. The gross factor isn't as bad as what people think. That's all I'll say there hehe!Looking forward to reading more! Best,Amy Dix
REPLY
Amy-
Thanks for the comment! For anyone else who would like to leave a comment just e-mail me at rpierce@myabc5.com or Amanda at akrenz@myabc5.com
Thanks!