Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Favorite Hobby



When I was a senior in High School I opted out of AP Chemistry when I realized that I had more than enough science classes on my record. The only class open at that point was a painting class. It didn't take long for my teacher and I to realize I had a knack for it. Today my house is filled with my artwork (makes for cheap decorating).


I just finished a large abstract landscape. It's huge, taller than me and I can't fit my arms around it. It's going to hang in my husband's office. I have a four foot lily I did a few years ago hanging in our kitchen. The big green hut and boat I painted to cover some wall scuffs in our last house, now it's above the couch in our den. The smaller lilies with the fence I actually did in high school. All the paintings are in acrylic, but I have done some oil paintings. Oils are so toxic I try not to use them, although I prefer the way they look. My husband, being the sweet man that he is, built me an art studio in our house. He put up all kinds of shelves and a special door to keep dust out (it is next to his woodworking shop) and TONS of lights, it is so nice to work in. Isn't he the best?






My mom makes a living as an artist, she's done and continues to do fabulous work. After raising six kids she decided to go back to school and will graduate with an art degree this May, we are so proud of her.
What are your hobbies? What do you like to do in your spare time?



-Rachel Pierce
rpierce@myabc5.com