Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Variety The Children's Charity















Last year at about this time I got involved with Variety The Children's Charity. Their annual Telethon airs on our station so pretty much everyone here at Channel 5 gets involved in one way or another. I helped kick off the show and did some hosting last year. Before I hosted I wanted to know what Variety was all about. So, along with a group of other folks, I took a bus to the various facilities/organization like Child Serve and Blank Children's hospital that have received funds from Variety. Organizations apply for grants to received funds for specific projects or items. I saw what a need there was right here in Iowa to help children and how Variety was stepping up to help. I knew after those tours I wanted in, I wanted to help, I wanted to be involved.

Today I now sit on the board of Variety. The board consists of about 50 people plus staff who are a committed, generous and go-getting group that knows how to have fun and raise a lot of money in the process.

Last year Variety raised more than three million dollars through events like the Telethon, Radiothon, Polo on the Green, Martini Maddness, Black Tie, Sportsman Stag, Miller Lite/Variety Golf invitational and many other events. All of the money raised is given away that year then we start over at zero dollars and have to raise all that money again.

I'm so excited for this year's 36th annual Variety Telethon, March 6th-7th. If you want to get involved the best way is to donate. It doesn't have to be a lot. This saying really rings true "We don't need you to give more we need more people to give". If you'd like to learn more about Variety e-mail me at rpierce@myabc5.com or log onto their website at http://www.varietyiowa.com/index.php.

Rachel Pierce
Pictures are from various Variety events.